So earlier this week the lovely Amanda from Tshirts & Twine nominated me for the Liebster Award, which means beloved in German, and is apparently for young blogs with less than 200 followers. It’s a major award! Cool right? And I’ve only been blogging for like, 2 weeks. So thank you so much Amanda, this should be super fun time! And now down to business. This is me fulfilling the requirements of the award:
1. Thank the Liebster-winning blogger who nominated you, and link back to their blog.
2. Post 11 facts about yourself.
- I have lived in the same awesome city for my entire life (San Diego!).
- I just got my first ever passport in 2011. I had never really left the country before then (Tijuana in 1999 doesn’t count).
- For nine years I saved the ticket stubs for every single movie I saw in theaters. I’m not really sure why I did this.
- I can replicate nearly any drawing almost perfectly, but for some reason can’t make any original work look good.
- I have a degree in Chemistry. I was also one class away from a math minor and three away from a bio minor, but I decided to give myself a break rather than finishing them. I also published a paper!
- I have three siblings over a decade younger than me. My mom, sister, and twin brothers were all born in the first week of March.
- I was a cello prodigy in high school. Sadly I have let that hobby lapse 😦
- I CANNOT drink coffee. It makes me all jumpy and angry an unable to focus on a single thing. Instead I drink several cups of tea a day.
- I have abnormally short pinkies. Look at yours. See how they go up to the second knuckle of your ring finger? Mine only go up to the first (and somehow I was still awesome at cello).
- I met the love of my life, Tristan, at a bar after I graduated college. After we met we learned that our mothers were friends and we grew up 10 minutes away from each other and went to rival high schools.
- I’m obsessive. Once I get an idea in my head it consumes me until I act on it/complete it.
3. Answer the 11 questions your nominator asked.
- What is your proudest memory? Graduating from college. I put myself through a private university so I was balancing multiple jobs, academic clubs, and a ridiculously demanding course load. I still have no idea how I pulled it off, graduated Cum Laude, and barely met the honors program requirements.
- Who in your family do you best connect with, and why? My sister. She is so down to earth and just tells it like it is. Even though she’s only 14 she is an inspiration.
- Do you have a place you consider a haven? If so, where/what is it? Girl Scout camp in Julian, CA. I went there every year from age 10-18 (as a camper then a CIT, then a counselor). It was a safe space full of support and female empowerment. It was also in the mountains and beautiful. I still love the mountains.
- If you could get paid to do one thing for the rest of your life, what would you choose? Oh man I totally want to be a combo cake decorator/florist. It’s so fun and peaceful for me.
- What is one thing about yourself that you would never change? Looking at every possible side of a situation. I always like to get a range of facts and perspectives on something before I form an opinion. It takes a while but once I have made a decision on something I tend to stick with it.
- Do you have any unique traditions or celebrations? If so, what are they? Not really. Although last Christmas Eve my family discouraged me from coming to our traditional dinner/midnight mass at the last minute due to family drama. Tristan and I got Indian food and watched Fantasia instead. Possible new Christmas tradition!
- What is one event in your life that made you a better person? Corny as it sounds, meeting Tristan. He’s my shaman, and helped me figure out my values, what I consider important in my life, and encouraged me to take care of my physical and mental health before anything.
- What is something you’ve always wanted to do, and why haven’t you done it? Travel. I want to see how people in different cultures live, as well as all of the beauty in the world. My entire life I’ve been a broke student and now that I actually have the money to travel I’m quitting my job and going back to being a broke student for another year!
- Do you have a favorite quote or personal motto? If so, what is it? Recently my mantra has been to be present, and focusing on actual/present things rather than potential/future things. I spend a lot of mental energy thinking and planning my future and I feel like my present self is suffering due to my fixations.
- What year of your life (up to this point) would you live over again? My first year out of college? I had a great boyfriend (still have him), didn’t have to make student loan payments, was still enthusiastic about my job, and was getting massages and eating sushi all the time!
- What is one thing you did today that made you happy? How about yesterday? Because yesterday I took my friend’s 2 year old and 4 month old to the zoo so she could pack for her upcoming move. It made me feel really good. Also her kids are adorable.
4. Create 11 questions for your nominees.
- What’s your favorite tea?
- If you could sum up your attitude towards life in one or two words, what would it be?
- In all honesty, how do you feel about Disney? Awesome feel-good happy movies or unrealistic-expectation-setting fairy tales?
- What’s your favorite movie? Why?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? What kind of house would you live in?
- We’ve all heard the “follow your passion” mantra. What’s your passion and how would you/have you followed it?
- What would you do with a million dollars?
- Realistically, how many pairs of shoes should a person have? Expand on this.
- Do you think there is life elsewhere in the universe?
- Suppose there is life elsewhere. We always assume they would come to destroy humanity. What do you think they would actually do?
- What’s your take on minimalism?
5. Nominate 11 blogs of 200 followers or less who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen.
Okay so I’m pretty new to the whole wordpress blogging thing so I don’t have 11 at this time but:
and a second nomination for Tshirts & Twine, because I just enjoy that blog so darn much!
6. Display the Liebster Award logo.